Default Mains failure gennie switching

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:12:53 -0500, "Bob Shuman"
wrote:

Since my 5KW gasoline generator is manual start only, I did not require an
automatic transfer switch. I also elected to go without the manual transfer
switch either and just use the 200A main breaker for this function (the
breaker needs to be switched off in case commercial power is restored while
the generator is operating). In my case, I ran a separate 30A 208VAC
breakered circuit to my garage. I can use this circuit for HD tools, but it
also provides me the ability to "backfeed" the main electrical panel so I
can distribute the available power to any of the house's 120VAC circuits
that I want (refrigerators, sump pump, gas furnace pilot & blower, etc.)

I've created a simple wiring diagram and specific step-by-step instructions
in case I am not around and the wife or older kids need to get this working
in my absence. If interested in a copy, send me email.

Bob

Just be careful that this type of arangement is illegal in many areas
as it can possibly backfeed to external powerlines. Most proper
solutions are designed to physically prevent this.

If you proceed with this, I highly recommend putting a sign next to
the breaker panel with instructions on shifting power, so that your
wife/kids know how to safely operate this setup. For example:

1. Kill main breaker
2. Kill genset breaker
3. Shutoff HW heater and other high draw appliances
4. Start generator, let it warm up
5. Energize genset breaker

Also be very careful of the plugs you use, to avoid the possibility of
having a cord with 120/208 on exposed prongs (sometimes called a dead
mans cord for obvious reasons).

In reality, backfeeding the grid is not as big of an issue as the
power company makes it. Attempting to backfeed to your neighborhood
will usually stall your generator. Even if you do manage to
backfeed, you stand a good chance of frying your genset when the power
comes back on (fire/electrocution hazard). Linesmen take precautions
even if a line is supposed to be dead. But still, that very slim
chance of energizing lines and presenting a danger to lineworkers is a
concern. That concern is expressed in electrical codes as a
requirements to not install equipment that can backfeed.

All that said, I would still recommend a transfer switch for it's
simplicity

-Chris