Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Advice sought on why 6.8A USB charger melted USB cable today

"Micky" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 17:02:46 -0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

I would just like some advice since I melted a USB cable today
and I realized I don't have the proper troubleshooting skills.

I bought over a half-dozen "Hype Volt" 6.8Amp USB chargers for
stuffing the Christmas stockings:
https://i.imgur.com/Zavgm4B.jpg

It seems to have melted some plastic or rubber.

Can you still use the cable?

Isn't the better goal to be figuring out why it overheated so maybe
you can continue to ucse the charger, if possible?

Apparently; the OP bought over half-dozen of these units for stocking
fillers.

Probably worth figuring out what the problem is before one wrecks the nice
shiny pad someone got for Christmas - or burns down their Christmas