Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default 40:1 vs 50:1 for leaf blowers, chain saws, hedge trimmers etc

On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 11:07:40 AM UTC-5, Jack Black wrote:
I'm not that experienced, hence this noob question for help.

I can never remember if it's 40:1 or 50:1 for my small gas tools, and I
never use all that much gas anyone (usually far less than a gallon at a
time).

My two main questions are
1. If I default to one or the other, which is best for most tools?

2. How do I figure out a (40:1 or 50:1) mixture when I'm using a 1 liter
coke bottle to do my mixing in?

Is there a convenient amount (eg one capful or two teaspoons per 500 ml or
something like that which is easily measured and always handy? (I don't
have small ml measuring devices).

I've heard people say that the 40:1 was based on oils from days
gone by, while the 50:1 is based on contemporary oils that are
possibly synthethic, higher quality, better properties, etc.
So you get the same lubrication or better today from 50:1 than
you did with 40:1. I haven't bought oil in a long time, but
for the chainsaw, trimmer, etc, I'd just go with what's on the
shelf, and I think it's likely 50 today. That's also better for
emissions, probably another driving factor.

To mix is, just get one of those 1 gallon plastic cans made
for it. And you can get the oil in premeasured little
containers that make 1 gal, so you just pour in one container,
then fill with gas.