Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Beginners Syndrome

wrote:
On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 9:00:29 PM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:

How deep could any pitting be? Give me a grinder and 30 seconds and the
pitting is gone. Then another couple minutes to "scary sharp."

Most chisels that actually get used a lot end up an inch or so shorter
than they started from sharpening over and over and over again over
their many years of use.

Preach it, Mike! All true.

Decades ago, before you could stop at the local big box and buy new set
of disposable chisels for 30 bucks, cabinet shops had to use theirs down
to the nubs. It was very common to see chisels ranging from a foot long
down to a couple inches. They sharpened and sharpened for years and
years and used just about every inch.

I am a sharpening (near) fanatic. All chisels, pocket knives, hunting knives, machetes, planes, kitchen knives and my woodturning tools must be nasty sharp. Always. I sharpen my kitchen knives every single time I use them, and my pocket knives (I carry two) usually about once a week or so.

That's a good argument in favor of a "sharpening station", which almost
no one seems to have room for.... I may have to look a little harder.

Bill