Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default Advice sought on why 6.8A USB charger melted USB cable today

Micky wrote, on Tue, 01 Dec 2015 00:12:10 -0500:

Based on what you have below, it's probably 35 watts.

Nobody makes that kind of mistake by accident.
The difference between 34 Watts and 40 Watts is huge.

I suspect they wanted to compete with the competitor who makes the
exact same device (same everything but the name and the lie on the
package).

I do have a call in to the manufacturer to find out why they say
40 Watts, and I will report it to Consumer Reports if I can find
an email address to do so.