Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Advice sought on why 6.8A USB charger melted USB cable today

On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 00:40:52 -0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Micky wrote, on Mon, 30 Nov 2015 18:32:49 -0500:

I don't think a good connection would generate any noticeable heat
even if it was putting out twice the proper amperage.

This is a good point.

If you keep being nice to the people you deal with on Usenet, it will
be hard to fight with you. For many people that will ruin the whole
experience.

So, I'm assuming the cable is bad and I switched
cables and at the moment, there is no heat.

As for the 40Watt figure, I think it's a lie because I googled

I don't know why this bothers you so much. Maybe it is a lie, they
were trying to increase sales. Maybe the guy who said 40 was drunk,
but he really thought it was 40. Maybe he made an error. Do you
remember the Hubble telescope? 100's of millions of dollars and they
ground the mirror wrong because someone miscalculated. If they can do
it, so can whoever made the charger.

Based on what you have below, it's probably 35 watts.

for the part number that is printed on the side of the unit:
https://i.imgur.com/8bl7ypU.jpg

Notice that HC363-5U printed on the unit?

Googling for just that, I find the same unit only with a different
set of markings, which is listed as being 35Watts, which is closer
to the 34 Watts that 6.8 Amps gets us at 5 VDC:
http://www.amazon.com/Hausbell-35W-H.../dp/B00NUREFMO
"Hausbell 35W HC363-5U UL Certified (UL No:E310745)
Family-Sized USB Wall Charger Plug Smart Charger,
Single USB Output 2.4A Max,Output total 6.8A Max,5P-USB Output
for Apple and Android Smartphones,Tablets and More(White)
by Hausbell, Price: $59.99 & FREE Shipping"

Here's the same unit, this time for $15 but it also calls it 35 Watts:
http://www.amazon.com/Hausbell-Charg.../dp/B00ORLR1X2

Here's another, again listing it as 35Watts:
http://www.sportinggoodsoutdoor.com/...Apple-and.html

And another listing it as 35 Watts:
http://hausbell.net/products/cell-ph...utput-238.html

And another listing it as 35Watts:
http://macbookpro.deal2hand.com/revi...00ORLR1X2.html

So, pretty much, the 40Watts is either a bold-faced lie, or it's
not the wattage of the output (which is closer to 34 Watts).