Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moc is offline

Default Advice sought on why 6.8A USB charger melted USB cable today

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 17:00:06 -0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

I would just like some advice since I melted a USB cable today
and I realized I don't have the proper troubleshooting skills.

I bought over a half-dozen "Hype Volt" 6.8Amp USB chargers for
stuffing the Christmas stockings:
https://i.imgur.com/Zavgm4B.jpg

I kept one for myself, but, when I used it last night on an iPad
and on an Android phone, the iPad lightning cable melted!

When I pulled it off the iPad, it was noticeably extremely hot,
but it doesn't seem to have damaged the iPad (AFAIK).

So, I'm just wondering what happened, and, more importantly, when
I look at the specs for this device, they don't make sense to me,
so, I have difficulty troubleshooting what the problem is/was.

I dont know why your cable melted, but a neighbor bought one of those
car cigarette lighter adaptors for his hunting cabin, which has no
electricity. He rigged up a cig lighter socket with clips on it, and
brings a charged battery to the cabin, and clips this thing on to it to
charge his cellphone.

One day he connected the clips backwards on the battery and that adaptor
went up in smoke.

I guess I never thought about that, so if someone has a vehicle with
POSITIVE ground, those adaptors would not work!