Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Junk : Legitimate Phone Calls - Your Ratio ?

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 17:08:00 -0800, T wrote:

On 11/30/2015 04:49 PM, wrote:

Last week, I did a count of one day's calls and wound up with five junk
calls to one legitimate call.
Is anybody keeping track ?
If so, what's your ratio ?

On my business line it seems like it is about 5 to 1 junk calls.
On my home line, it is about 40 junk to 1 legitimate.
Endless political calls and the ubiquitous Anthem
calls (I finally got on Anthem's do not call list).
Love caller ID and my answering machine.

Yikes !
Sorry - but I get ~ 5 or 6 junk phone calls - per month .
I'm always polite to the human callers -
- they are real people - after all - trying to make a living -
usually they are suffering through a low-point in their
employment history -
.. and they don't really need a kick-in-the-teeth -
from a compfy fat-cat arse-whole -
- telling them - how low they are ..
A very nice & kind woman, I once knew - was employed
as a telephone canvasser - I just think of her -
and it's sooo easy to be polite.
Computer-callers are sooo easy to just hang-up-on !
John T.

My wife got one where the guy admitted he was staying on the
phone with her a long as he could because because she was
nice to him and he did not want to face the next arse hole.
So my wife told him a bunch of jokes for about 10 minutes.
She got a huge thank you at the end of the conversation.

She sounds like a great woman.

Then there was the one who told my wife that if she did not
let him speak to the owner that he was going to get her fired.

SWMBO?

We still laugh at that one every so often.

As I said elsewhere, I get very few junk calls, but I got one
yesterday who said there was a problem with my computer. I was still
eating my salad, so nothing to get cold, so I talked to him a while,
but after 5 minutes I told him that I knew he was lying. He asked
Why would I do that? For money. Have I asked for money? (Then I
remembered that the last guy, when I wouldnt' give him the real
password for TeamViewer, ended by having me call some other number
that Would ask for money. ).....

I asked him if he worked for Microsoft (the usual story), and he said
No, Microsoft doesn't call people like this. He worked for TechSquad
(a real company, I think) and they, he said, did customer service for
everyone.

I kept telling him I knew he was trying to cheat me. Why or if he
though he'd succeed, but he stayed on the phone 20 minutes from the
first time I said it, until I hung up.