Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Junk : Legitimate Phone Calls - Your Ratio ?

Micky wrote:
On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 17:43:53 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Frank:
VoIP phone, with caller ID, I'd say at least 50% junk.

My outgoing non-local/non-800/non-911 all go out via VOIP but my
incoming is still POTS.

I am tempted to go 100% VOIP in order to implement Challenge/Response,
but am still wary of losing 911 - although I *think* it is still
supposed to be there even with the POTS account closed.

There was a long story on the radio recently about how cell phones'
location is not known to the police department. They may or may not
have made reference to VOIP phones. It wa probalby on NPR and
probably on the Diane Rehm show drshow.org in the last week, at
most two. Two topics per day, 5 days a week, so you should be able
to find it. Very user-friendly webpage, that plays well.

What really ****es me off is that the phone company and government must
know where these calls are coming from but don't do anything about it.

Sure, most are out of the country but they could do something like block
them or send them back a virus to destroy their computers.

Or set up honey traps..... sooner or later, money has to change hands
and once it does...

In the case of my state (Penna) I am guessing they made a decision to
spend the money on more pressing matters.

OTOH, if the whole thing is offshore (including the money recipients) it
would seem like there's nothing to be done.

I am drawn to Challenge/Response because it involves spending less money
on my phone service instead of more.

OTOH, the crowdsourcing solutions like NoMoRobo would seem simpler in
that they get around the need for a WhiteList that seems to me to be
part of a decent Challenge/Response implementation.