Posted to comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Advice sought on why 6.8A USB charger melted USB cable today

Danny D. wrote:
nospam wrote, on Mon, 30 Nov 2015 15:09:53 -0500:

apple has this to say about how to check the cables:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204566

Thank you for that reference. It's pretty clear from the white
faceplate and the lack of printing on the cable that it's not
an Apple cable, but that doesn't mean the cable is bad.

I ran down the iPad today and have it on the same charger with
a different USB cable (this one I think was from Staples because
it's flat instead of being round). So far it's not getting hot,
but I will know by tomorrow.

We have couple iPADs kicking around in the house. I wouldn't use
quality unknown anything with iPAD for the danger of damaging the unit.
Look for UL, CSA,EU approval Logo on stuffs like that. I have O'scope
at least I'd check how clean output they produce EU standard is quite
higher than that of UL.

As for the 40Watt figure, I think it's a lie because I googled
for the part number that is printed on the side of the unit:
https://i.imgur.com/8bl7ypU.jpg

Notice that HC363-5U printed on the unit?

Googling for just that, I find the same unit only with a different
set of markings, which is listed as being 35Watts, which is closer
to the 34 Watts that 6.8 Amps gets us at 5 VDC:
http://www.amazon.com/Hausbell-35W-H.../dp/B00NUREFMO
"Hausbell 35W HC363-5U UL Certified (UL No:E310745)
Family-Sized USB Wall Charger Plug Smart Charger,
Single USB Output 2.4A Max,Output total 6.8A Max,5P-USB Output
for Apple and Android Smartphones,Tablets and More(White)
by Hausbell, Price: $59.99 & FREE Shipping"

Here's the same unit, this time for $15:
http://www.amazon.com/Hausbell-Charg.../dp/B00ORLR1X2

Here's another, again listing it as 35Watts:
http://www.sportinggoodsoutdoor.com/...Apple-and.html

And another:
http://hausbell.net/products/cell-ph...utput-238.html

And another:
http://macbookpro.deal2hand.com/revi...00ORLR1X2.html

So, pretty much, the 40Watts is either a bold-faced lie, or it's
not the wattage of the output.