Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default Advice sought on why 6.8A USB charger melted USB cable today

jurb6006 wrote, on Mon, 30 Nov 2015 16:48:19 -0800:

First of all, to melt a wire or connector, there must be an overload.
Unless the charger went overvoltage it is not at fault.
check what you were charging and its cable.

Even if the charger put out all 6.8 Amps into the iPad, there shouldn't
have been resistance AT the cable end sufficient to cause the cable
plastic to melt from the power dissipation at the connection point.

So, that pretty much tells me that the cable was bad. It could have
started a fire, so, it's good that I pulled that cable out of service.

I have the same charger and a different cable, so I will see if this
second cable (this one is from Staples, I think, instead of from
Office Max) works without overheating.