Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Advice sought on why 6.8A USB charger melted USB cable today

"Danny D." wrote in message
I would just like some advice since I melted a USB cable today
and I realized I don't have the proper troubleshooting skills.

I bought over a half-dozen "Hype Volt" 6.8Amp USB chargers for
stuffing the Christmas stockings:
https://i.imgur.com/Zavgm4B.jpg

I kept one for myself, but, when I used it last night on an iPad
and on an Android phone, the iPad lightning cable melted!

When I pulled it off the iPad, it was noticeably extremely hot,
but it doesn't seem to have damaged the iPad (AFAIK).

The official spec for USB says its limited to 500mA at 5V.

As long as the 5V is rock steady and within spec the current draw should be
whatever the appliance normally takes.

The highest I've seen offered for sale was 2.1A.

You should probably get them checked out before you burn down anyone's
Christmas tree.