Posted to comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.home.repair
nospam[_3_] nospam[_3_] is offline

Default Advice sought on why 6.8A USB charger melted USB cable today

In article , Danny D.
wrote:

The article explained that USB 3.0 "cables" have 9 wires but when I
looked at the 6.8Amp charger, each USB slot seems to have only 4
gold pins on the white protruding tab. I presume the surrounding
metal is ground, so, that makes 5 electrical connections that I can
see in each USB slot of the 6.8Amp/40Watt "Smart" wall charger.

charging only requires two wires, plus two to negotiate the power.

usb 3 makes *no* difference for a charger.