Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default Grid Dip Meter

On 11/29/2015 06:35 PM, OldGuy wrote:
Looking for recommendations for a Grid Dip Meter built or a kit.

Find an old Measurements (Boonton) 59 'Megacycle Meter' on eBay. I used
to have a Heath 12something that I used for years. On Joerg's
recommendation, I got a Measurements 59, and soon afterwards the Heath
went in the trash.

The 59 has accurate frequency calibration. Mine is still within 2% over
the full range, by actual measurement, and it hasn't been trimmed in a
loooong time. It also gives a nice deep dip even with quite weak
coupling--much weaker than the Heath, especially on low-Q resonances.
I've used it to measure the coupling coefficient of toroidal
transformers, for instance. (An ISDN unit had a CC of 0.99986.)

Besides, it has such a nice retro look and feel.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs