Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Beginners Syndrome

On 11/29/2015 6:24 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Don't look for "pencil". Look for "lead holder".

Aha, never thought of that one. This is more like it, I like the 2m
lead, that is a good size for a woodworker. The koh-i-noor lead holder
looks OK, but more designed for the draftsman than a cabinet maker, as
it appears thinner, doesn't have the cross hatched metal finger grip.
Also, it is $8, the sharpener is $8, and the lead is $11. That's $27
for what Rockwell sells you for $9.

One more thing, while I'm not a fan of Rockler because they seem
overpriced for a lot of stuff, I do recognize they are the only
woodworkers shop in my area, that I can walk in and put hands on stuff I
want, and they carry lots of specialty stuff you can't get locally.
Because of this, I do buy stuff from them, as long as it is good
quality, which most of their stuff is, and is not so overpriced I'd be
stupid to buy it. Usually I buy there when a 20% sale gets the prices
down to a reasonable amount. This cabinetmakers pencil, specifically
made for cabinetmakers is a good example of something you can't find
anywhere else.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

http://www.staples.com/Staedtler-Mar...d-Holder-2-mm-
Pack-of-2-/product_1722242

Leads available (note--"Turquoise" is the brand name, not the color):
http://www.dickblick.com/products/prismacolor-turquoise-leads/

Sharpener:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/staedtler-mars-lead-pointer/
http://www.dickblick.com/products/st...andpaper-lead-
pointer/

This is all old-school pre-CAD drafting equipment.