Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Battery charger only puts out 11.5 volts

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 01:19:29 -0600, wrote:

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 01:48:51 -0500, Micky
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 17:42:17 -0600,
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 14:18:19 -0500, Micky
wrote:

Battery charger only puts out 11.5 volts with no load on 10 amp
setting, less when on 2amp setting. Puts out 7+ on 6 volt setting.
With no load.

It used to put out plenty. I've only used it a little bit since then.
If windings in secondary were shorted, output voltage would go down,
but what would make the secondary short?

Left outside, plugged in and charging a crummy battery, for about a
week, but covered from the rain and it didn't rain anyhow.

I just measured the voltage on one of my battery chargers. Using my
analog meter, it shows slightly less that 12V with no load. It charges
batteries just fine!

Hmm. Is it a smart charger in any way?

I could/should/will connect it to my car. 43^ and rain Monday and
rain for 2 more days

NO, just a basic OLD 10A charger. Probably from the 1970s.

I bet yours will charge just fine!!!!!

Maybe you're right. If it doesn't, I found the email from Freecycle
where it was offered, and even though it's 20 months later, I'm going
to write the guy and ask him if it worked. Maybe he'll remember. I'm
grateful for a free charger either way, and I'll tell him that. One
advantage of email, if he was moving, his email should stay the same.

OTOH, the email providers give a lot more trouble than my house does.
Verizon jus announced if you dont' read your mail for 6 months,
they'll throw it away and close your account, even if seems if you're
paying your monthly bill to Verizon.