Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default (OT) Police car headlights

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 20:46:06 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Oren:
I think the flashing lights on emergency vehicles have now got too brite. they are dazzaling and now became a hazard of their own......

Tell that to the EMTs when an ambulance rushes you to the emergency
room. Tell them the siren is to loud or when a train horn approaches a
crossing to stop vehicles crossing a railroad crossing. Fire trucks
rushing to save your house?

None of that addresses the issues raised - and I agree that they are
both too bright and too loud around here and have become their own
hazard.

Also around here, the driving of those vehicles also seems to have
become more hazardous..... admittedly just anecdotal observation, but
I've seen responders go around a blind turn against a red light (risking
certain death for whoever would have been unlucky enough to be in that
head-on crash).... and observed the same 2 vehicles a few blocks later
pulled over with the occupants doing nothing more than directing
traffic.

Just today I witnessed an ambulance blow two red lights on a main
thoroughfare.... no siren in this case, no lights.... just relying on
some new system they have in place that turns the light suddenly green
for the emergency vehicle - only fly in the ointment was the lights did
not turn green until *after* the vehicle had blown through them.

And now we have school buses with white strobe lights on the roof. These
things are yellow and as big as a small house.... no problem seeing
*that*..... but there is something about a strobe light that forces
people's eyes to flick over to it - sort of a involuntary reflex....not
what I would call a good thing when drivers (already plenty aware of the
school bus) have to be looking for other moving objects.

I suggest you contact your local authorities and voice your discontent
about emergency vehicles. Call the Governor if you have to. Maybe
write a better policy that your community will adopt.

Emergency vehicles don't bother me. To get a driver's license, one has
to obey the law that gives them the right of way.

I'm not the one to complain to. Maybe tell your community leaders to
refund your tax dollars for safety devices on public service vehicles
or infrastructure.