Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Beginners Syndrome

Spalted Walt wrote:
On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 15:43:31 -0500, Jack wrote:

The Rocker is not only good, with 2mm lead, it looks, and feels heavy
duty, and like it belongs in a Cabinet shop. I believe that is exactly
the purpose it was designed for, and imo, and about everyone that
reviewed it, they nailed it. It is the right tool for the job.

I'm betting David Rees would vehemently disagree :-/

https://www.youtube.com/embed/VkSmaFAuaH4

(Shot on location at The Woodwright's School, Pittsboro NC)

That's a great video for this thread. As a matter of coincidence
(perhaps seeded by my recent rediscovery of some old rusty chisels from
an auction), I was considering how some (beginner) folks might be
well-advised to concentrate on how "metal cuts wood". If one learns how
to sharpen and the properties of wood, I think that this will go a long
way. For instance, to my mind, a functional shoulder plane could be
constructed on the cheap (whereas a set of 3 from LV might run $600..).
All this being said, this does not imply that learning how "metal cuts
wood" can be learned without some effort...