Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default LED bulbs not so bad

On 11/28/2015 9:41 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/28/2015 10:24 AM, Don Y wrote:

Sounds like you should tilt those headlights
down a bit, so you don't keep (knowingly)
blinding other drivers. That's quite
inconsiderate to keep blinding other drivers
after being asked many times, and knowing that
you've been asked many times, to dim the brights.

Tell the factory that! Car rides up higher than a
regular car -- should all truck drivers deliberately
point their lights at the ground (instead of "aiming"
them as required?)

Should folks not be allowed to use halogen and HID lights
because they're brighter??

Properly aimed, they should not be blinding others no matter how bright.

One possibility is some drivers just see they are brighter and assume you have
the high beams on even if they are not blinded.

See my other posts, here. The issue is elevation of the headlamp.
The first time it happened, we (new to the car) went to "lower"
the beam -- and ended up flashing the highs, instead. So, the
other vehicle now *knows* we didn't have the highs on.

Had he been in a pickup truck or other "high riding" vehicle, he
would probably not have noticed. Or, had his vehicle been
in relative motion to ours so he wasn't in the "bad spot"
for the duration of the traffic light.

It's also possible that seeing the "wider" light source (3 lamps
each side instead of just one filament) led him to think it was
two bulbs, side by side.

And, they're "whiter" than normal incandescents.

Possible aim is bad from the factory. Unlikely, but stuff happens.

The factory specs are less than the best. I sometimes do notice the Jeep SUV
type is a bad aim for oncoming cars. I see a couple of them and they are
brighter in my eyes than any other car.

Another possibility is you have 6 bags of concrete in the trunk and the lights
are looking up. Many cars have self leveling lights though.

There's a real spare in the trunk (instead of a bottle of sealant and a
pump) but I doubt that makes much of a load difference (~100#?)