Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default LED bulbs not so bad

On 11/28/2015 8:19 AM, notbob wrote:
On 2015-11-28, Tony Hwang wrote:

Also replacement LED light assembly will cost more. (can't replace
individual element in an array)

I think this issue was resolved several yrs ago, but I could be
wrong.

AFAICT, this varies with the make/model of the vehicle.

I recall fans of Suzuki motorcycles were outraged when they
discovered they hadda replace an entire 4-LED light array, at huge
cost, instead of a single small LED bulb. Suzy changed it to
easily replaceable individual LEDs.

I've seen the same issue with the newer LED stoplight assys. Usta
see a few individual LED bulbs burned out. No more. Seems it's the
total array or nothing. This is weird, as the Japanese usta
live/die for selling entire assemblies. Are the arrays now cheaper
or is it jes companies maximizing profits?

I think they are minimizing *production* costs. In our case, each
"headlamp assembly" consists of 5 LED emitters -- 3 for "low" and
2 more for "high" -- mated to optics that focus the light in the
desired dispersal pattern.

Making this an assembly means you reduce the labor involved in
aiming 5 individual elements along with their optics. You have
two connectors instead of 5 (for each lamp), two wiring
harnesses instead of 5, etc.

As with many "production economies", this comes at the expense of
*repair* costs (different from "maintenance" costs as the headlamps
have high life expectancy -- higher than incandescent *or* HID;
at least, "on paper" : ).

Playing krinkle-bumper is where this turns up, in most cases.
Who cares if the bulb is $20 if the PLASTIC assembly into which
it fits is $400? Now it's a $420 bulb! (DIYer can't "fix" the
molded plastic assembly *and* optics)

Likewise, crumple zones mean little accidents (that previously
would have transferred the impact energy to your neck, spine,
etc.) now transfer it to the body shop!

As I said, I am more concerned with all the electronics kit
littered around the vehicle (true of virtually all vehicles
nowadays). None of it likes heat -- yet most of it is
exposed to heat in the normal course of events (esp in the
engine compartment).

We test drove a vehicle with forward facing "technology"
(camera, "RADAR", etc.) mounted just inside the front
windshield (forward of the rear view mirror).

Sitting in the running vehicle while waiting for the sales droid,
I watched error messages pop up on the driver's information
display in rapid succession:
- forward-facing-technology-feature #3 failure
- forward-facing-technology-feature #1 failure
- forward-facing-technology-feature #2 failure
- forward-facing-technology-feature #4 failure
(I forget the names of these individual features).

Of course, it was easy to suss out that each of these features
was related to the bit of technology packaged "inside the windshield"!

When I asked the sales droid, his reply: "Oh, it does that when
sitting out in the sun" (WTF? Are we only supposed to drive AT NIGHT??)

Turns out the problem is related to heat build-up in a *stationary*
vehicle -- air flowing over the windshield normally acts to cool
this stuff (doesn't happen when you're parked *in* the sunshine).

Likewise, it's relatively easy to find "bugs" in the systems in
most vehicles -- without looking too hard! : I was able to
crash the "infotainment system" in a Nissan (Murano, IIRC) purely
by chance -- in the few minutes I was playing with it.

I've already started a list of "anomalous behaviors" that I've
observed in the various bits of technology. Some are just
consequences of the implementation (e.g., if passenger and
driver each have key fobs on their persons, vehicle tends to
think first occupant is driver -- regardless of where seated!),
some are poor design choices and others are "implementation
screwups".

Thankfully, most of the design choices *seem* to have been well
thought out. In looking back at other vehicles, some of the
same features were present but implemented differently -- in
less "friendly" manners.

E.g., when vehicle is in reverse, many vehicles automatically
tilt the side mirrors downward so you can see what you are
"backing into/onto". Some cars tilt both mirrors. Some cars
tilt one or the other (configured by a user "setting" in a
"configuration mode").

This vehicle puts that choice in the driver's hands at "run time"
in a reasonably intuitive manner:
- if the "side mirror select" switch (with which the driver normally
chooses left, right or neither mirror to adjust with the "joystick"
on the arm rest) is in the "none"/center position, both side
mirrors remain "as is" when the vehicle is in reverse.
- if the side mirror select switch is set to "driver's side mirror"
(i.e., as if the driver would have wanted to adjust the driver's
side mirror with the joystick), then the left mirror tilts downward
when the car reverses
- ditto for passenger's side mirror
So, leave the switch in the center if you want to disable the "feature"
(this also prevents you from accidentally disturbing the normal setting
of the mirror by locking out the joystick). If you decide you need some
help on one side or the other while backing up, just flip the switch
to that side and the selected mirror moves downward.

[I've not checked to see what happens if you try to use the joystick
at this time]

Other vehicles had cameras mounted around the vehicle to expose various
views in the dash mounted display. IIRC, the Nissan had a downward
facing camera in the passenger's side mirror that would let you watch
the *curb* line while parking!

These sorts of features are an excellent example of why -- contrary to
most *naive* engineer's opinions -- providing too much flexibility
in configuration is A Bad Thing; most users would be intimidated and
not exploit *any* of that ability -- let alone exploit it *wisely*!

One notable deficiency is a lack of *useful* information in an
already BLOATED "owner's manual". There are many things that are
not well documented. And, many others that could benefit from
some detailed examples. I guess they expect you to get this
information from an on-line forum, dealer, etc. And, of course,
there are obvious documentation "errors" (cases where the software
has evolved but the documentation hasn't kept pace).

Then, there are amusing omissions! E.g., the navigation system
can litter the map display with icons for hospitals, libraries,
food stores, ATM's, dealerships (of course!), etc. But, no way to
see where police stations are located! (I've not checked fire
stations or post offices, yet). Amusing when you consider those
things are probably more permanent (less likely to change than
Joe's Generic Restaurant) than most of the "data" that WILL change
almost monthly!

Currently, the biggest "*simple* fix" screwup is a failure to add
tactile indicators (i.e., "bumps") to the overhead garage door opener
buttons so you can *feel* for the desired button in a darkened
vehicle (instead of accidentally pushing one of the *other* buttons
located nearby).

It would be fun to design the "user interface" in a car!