Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] cl@isbd.net is offline

Default Electro Oil Sterling oil fired boiler won't restart

wrote:
Generic "working" of a simple oil boiler (conventional flue without run on timer) -
Power applied to burner via external controls and boiler thermostat (also
any boiler overheat thermostat with normally closed contacts).
Most sequence control boxes check no flame present before one should be
there, Burner motor starts and in some units ignition arc starts simultaneously
others after short delay. The fan runs to purge the combustion chamber.
The oil pump runs with the motor but no oil delivered until the purge delay
expires when the oil solenoid is energised open and oil is sprayed into
the chamber past the ignition arc which lights the oil flame. The light
of the flame is detected, the arc turned off and the flame continues to
burn until the heat demand is satisfied when the thermostatic controls
remove power from the burner.
If a too early light is detected the sequence control goes to "false light
lockout" If a proper flame is not detected shortly after the oil solenoid
opens the sequence control goes to lockout. In lockout the burner stops,
an alarm light illuminates and resetting requires manual reset.
Occasional failure to ignite can happen but if more than once in a blue
moon further investigation is required.

Thanks. As I said I think our failure was provoked by a loss of
power, it could have happened during an ignition sequence which might
have made it cause the lockout.

We don't seem to have an alarm light as such, just the sequence of
flashes on the Bentone box (or is that what you meant by alarm?).

When I restarted/reset I just held the reset button in on the Bentone
while powering up, it continued to flash its alarm sequence for a
while but then decided all was well and went quiet. Would the normal
manual reset be to power up and then hold the reset button in for a
while or should one power up with the reset button in, or doesn't it
matter?

--
Chris Green
ยท