Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Beginners Syndrome

In article , says...

On 11/26/2015 11:01 AM, Leon wrote:

I would probably switch out to one of my drafting pencils but my wood
supplier gives me wooden pencils, these are actually great pencils that
last a long time. Apparently there is such a demand for those free
pencils that they now sell them. I have 37 unsharpened and have only
used about 4 in the past 3~5 years. The leads don't break on these
wooden pencils. ;~)
IMHO if you can't sharpen a pencil you cant get a fine enough point for
certain marks, .7mm is not fine enough for me much of the time.

The Rockler Cabinet makers mechanical pencil comes with a sharpener.
The sharpener only sharpens the lead. It has a little hole that the
lead just fits in, and a twist or two and the point is needle sharp.

Also, when I said I've read people complain that the point breaks when
you drop the pencil, I didn't mean the lead. Of course the lead will
break if you drop it on the point, I meant they are saying the screw on
nib, or whatever you call it, will break. I haven't dropped mine yet,
and will try to make a _point_ not to drop it, for whatever good that
will do. I still highly recommend this pencil to any woodworker,
particularly in a cabinet making environment.

If there's any kind of drafting supply house nearby they'll have good
ones for the same price or less. Blick Art Supply lists all-metal Koh-
I-Noor for 8 bucks. You should be able to pick up a Staedtler at
Staples.