Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Wont' start?

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 11:09:27 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

Micky wrote:
I tried to take off the fuel line to see how much comes out, but I
didn't have the right tool. And now it's dark out. Tomorrow
should be warm too.

I have to read about the fuel-pump-like-device.

I haven't read all the posts related to this, but a few suggestions.

Can you put the scooter on a block so the rear wheel doesn't touch the ground
during testing?

I could try that. Actually it has two kick stands and it's only using
the one that makes it lean. I hadn't tried too hard to get it up on
the two-legged kick stand because someone on the scooter webpage
thought that had to be not? deployed (whatever that means) to start
the bike. But a) the generic schematic doesn't show that, and b) now
that it starts easily (after a 10 minute wait ) I'll know if that's
true or not.

The fuel pump like device, you said alsewhere, was an auto shut off valve. And
there was something about a missing 2" tube. Could the missing tube connect
vacuum from the carb to the valve to keep the fuel turned on?

No, there's another tube that does that.

This tube it seems was meant to go nowhere. I found on google maps
in an industrial n'hood a place Nnnn Cycle Salvage, and when I went
there it was a dismal warehouse with almost no light, and only about
15 junk bikes afaict, but two were like mine and one still had a
carburetor, and it had the same 2" hose going nowhere. I don't get
it!

Replace the tube
and it may work. Any tube that was on it origionally is clearly necessary for
normal operation.

I did today, though I haven't put the 90 degree bend in it yet. That
might be necesssary too afaik.

I put my finger on the hole earlier and didn't feel blowing or
sucking.

It might be hard to feel sucking from such a little hole, but I also
put my finger on the hole where that tube to the auto-shut-off (vacuum
petcock) went, in the intake manifold, and I could feel a little
sucking there.

Earlier I had rolled up a tiny bit of newspaper and stuffed it in that
port, the vacuum porrt , and it ran no better or worse than when the
tube was on it. But when the engine stopped, after the usual 15
seconds or so, the piece of paper shot out 2 feet!!! ???????