Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles[_4_] Muggles[_4_] is offline

Default LED bulbs not so bad

On 11/27/2015 5:31 PM, notbob wrote:
I've read all the threads on LED light bulbs. Not a lotta good things
to say. Directional, wrong spectrum, etc. Me? I like 'em, so far.

I have a regular shaded lamp with a CFL in it. Takes at least 30-60
secs to come up to full brightness. For reading, I have one of those
flex-neck lamps with a directional hood (like pole lamps). I put a
60W LED bulb in it. I bought the cheapest bulb I could find at
WallyWorld fer $2.58. In a directional hooded lamp, it works great.
Full brightness, instantly. Plenty bright enough fer reading when
bounced off a white wall.

Not that I endorse them, without reservation. I'll be damned if I'll
spend $1K+ fer an LED grow light. Not until they settle on what
spectrums are best fer veg/flowering, first. But, fer a couple bucks,
good enough fer reading.

nb

I've got all LED bulbs in my bathroom, now, where I've added shelves to
put plants on. I turn them on and it's like being outside on a sunny day
with no clouds in the sky. I read that LED are just as good for growing
plants, plus, LED blue and red bulbs are also good for plants, so, I'll
see for myself how it does this winter.

I bought some carnivorous plants to keep amongst the other plants and
they've already caught some tiny gnats. (venus flytrap, and octopus
plant [sundew]). LOVE them both. One of the octopus plants is blooming
pretty pink flowers.

--
Maggie