Jerry G.

Default Recurrent Keyboard Failure on GE clock radio

Try some contact cleaner to see if this will sustain them. If you call the
GE Thompson parts department, or any of their authorized parts dealers, you
may be able to order a new keypad assy.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"mike" wrote in message ...
Recurrent Keyboard Failure on GE clock radio

My favorite old GE clock radio has metal membrane
keys for the direct-set alarm.
Looks like this:
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/keys.jpg

Every six months or so, they quit working.
Starts at the bottom row and works it's way up
over a period of months.
I take it apart and run a strip of paper soaked
in alcohol between
the contacts and it's all good for another six months.

I'm wearing out the screw holes that mount it together.

Is there anything I can put on the contacts to retard
oxidation or whatever's happening?
I thought it was dirt, but sealing the whole thing in
packing tape didn't help a bit.

The radio isn't worth nothin' but it sure is easy to set
the alarm time...when the keys work. I have two of these and
they both have the same problem.

Ideas?
mike
laptops and parts Test Equipment
4in/400Wout ham linear amp.
Honda CB-125S
400cc Dirt Bike 2003 miles $550
Police Scanner, Color LCD overhead projector
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser