Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Welder Power

"M Philbrook" wrote in message
I hope that damn 2 phase 220 house wire does not start up again. There
is a
true 2 phase and then then there is the split phase 240 that is common in
most of the houses in the US that some try to claim is 2 phase.

Show me the phase difference between your "TRUE" 2 phase and the
"FALSE" 2 phase that you seem to know so much about.

I really want to know because I would like to see if you really
understand what the term "PHASE" actually means?

I don't intend to get suckered into a long thread about the difference. All
I am going to say is that by definition the 2 phase power is seperated by 90
deg instead of the 180 deg that the more common split phase is as some try
to make it .

An easy way to tell is to hook a simple 2 wire iduction motor across the
lines. If it starts, it is 2 phase, if not single phase. The single phase
motor needs some means of starting such as a capacitor start circuit. That
was one of the reasons 2 phase power was used.