Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Welder Power

M Philbrook wrote:

Show me the phase difference between your "TRUE" 2 phase and the
"FALSE" 2 phase that you seem to know so much about.

I really want to know because I would like to see if you really
understand what the term "PHASE" actually means?

There REALLY WERE, honestly, 2-phase systems in use quite some time ago.
They had a 90 degree phase angle between the two phases. They could be
delivered in a 3-wire system, looked just like split-phase 120/240, but were
apparently commonly set up with 4 wires. The motors were wired with 2
windings in quadrature, and would start without any starting devices
(switches, capacitors, etc.) just like a 3-phase motor. It was quickly
figured out that 3-phase was slightly better (less torque ripple, for
instance) and the 3-phase system took over.

Google "2 phase utility power" and they have an article on it.

Of course, standard residential power in the US is NOT 2-phase, but single-
phase.

Jon