Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default OT, Star Wars

On 11/27/2015 7:02 AM, Frank wrote:

I actually read, that even at Shakespeare's time, that there were no new
stories, just new ways of telling them.

I have no problem with this.

Just do not like seeing sequels that leave you hanging. Often the whole
purpose of a sequel is to lead you to the next chapter. It is not like the
authors have an ending in mind. Recall "Lost" on TV.
I remember watching the ending and saying, I put in years watching the show to
see it crappy ending?

Recall the old Flash Gordon serials. Endings were planned. Watchers were
satisfied.

With "effects" that were no better than "sparklers" sticking out the *ss-end
of their "rocket ships"! :

Most (successful) serials attempt to tell stories within stories.
So, you can give the reader/viewer some "local satisfaction/resolution"
(to the *inner* stories) while stringing them along (with the *outer*
stories).

The trend to split the last serial into *two* serials...
Or, last "season" into *two* seasons...
just reeks of sleeze. Esp when you *know* there will be nothing
of substance that will make you *glad* you hung around for
that LAST episode of the second HALF of the FINALE...

If you want to tell a different story (e.g., remake of _War of Worlds_,
remake of _Day the Earth Stood Still_, etc.) then TELL A DIFFERENT
STORY! Don't tell the *same* story and tweek it a little -- unless
you're sure what you are doing is heads above the previous!

[E.g., Cocker's renditions of other folks' songs have the same
lyrics and melody but are *so* different than the originals
that you can easily consider them different songs, entirely!]

ACClarke wrote many versions of 2001 (some personal politics,
apparently, at play, there). Yet, we didn't see all of those
versions released as "remakes" of the original. Even the
sequels (2010, 2061, 3001) are different stories -- not just
different "versions" of the original (or any of its alternate
implementations). Likewise, _2001_ wasn't a lame retelling of
_The Sentinel_

Too often, authors and series fall into ruts -- endlessly relying
on a single gimmick on which to hang their wares (e.g., Dr Who).
You're left with a disappointing "yawn"...