Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default motorscooter starts but will not run

On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 22:11:07 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 11/26/2015 06:35 PM, Micky wrote:
I'm glad you posted. If that's where it is, I wouuldn't have found
it.

What kind of scooter is it? There should be some service information
online. Unless it's a Chung King Lightning Bolt or one of those other
cheap Chinese scoots.

It is, but they too have documentation.

They are creative. One of them was called
something like Fubar 800. The displacement was around 50cc but the
crankcase held 800cc's of oil.

That's right. Low actually. 50cc's and 1 liter of oil. The piston
is only 1.33 inches and the stroke is 1.63 inches.

(and I see it has the factory-specified plug, and I measure the gap
and it was just right.)

It's a Tautau 50cc ATM50-A1. People won't find more documentation
on-line than I have, I was pretty diligent and I found plenty. I
have dl'd the owner's manual, 40 pages, and the generic service
manual, 180 pages (including the wiring schematic which almost?
exactly matches the scooter), and some other manuals for similar
scooters, GY6 and Panterra, but none of them show the gas filter. They
list it in the mainenance schedule, though, so I figured there was
one.

**Some other models are 49.5cc. I think there are some laws that
apply to bikes 50cc and above, so they made those less.

I also have the GY6 troubleshooting guide, which I had forgotten to
look at (I actually avoided looking at it until today, but today I'm
willing to look.) The closest it has is for Low Engine RPM, for which
it lists:
Air filter blocked
Fuel choke
Fuel tank cap air bleeder blocked -- so it really could have been
the cap after all, but it's not.
Exhaust pipe blocked
Auto choke bad
Carburetor diaphragm
Automatic oil cup bad.

Like most troubleshooting charts it doesn't list everything that could
be the problem.

Plus I joined a scooter web list, but I hate web lists, and it's only
worth asking there about things that are too obscure for the people
here to know. Like where can you get body parts for this model.

..... It has an overhead cam engine! But a maximum speed of 30, iirc.

And get this, they say it's a hemi!!