Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default motorscooter starts but will not run

On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 17:53:06 -0500, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Micky,

Get a gas can, disconnect the gas line at the carb,

I tried to disconnect it there, and I got the thin spring wire "hose
clamp" to move down the hose but couldnt' get the hose off.

If I took off the electric choke (two phillips screws) I might have
more access, not sure. All the pictures/diagrams are from the right
side, and this is on the left. (182 page manual, 22 megs)

and let a quart run
into the can.

No chance of getting even a little can in there. I was just going to
spill some.

Then I tried just below the fuel-pump-like-thing (well not really
except it's in the middle of the fuel line, where a pump would be. I
assume gravity is the major pump). They call it the control valve and
it has a vacuum line on it. The line goes to the base of the
carburetor, so I guess when there is vacuum there it either opens or
closes the gasoline path, maybe. This might be broken.

Got the gas hose clip moved and there was room to put in a screw
driver, but didn't have one.

Then I tried just above the control valve, moved the hose clip, and I
did have a tool to get in there, but it didnt' budge yet. Hoses get
stuck to the metal. Then I went on to something else.

Does the gas flow out or is it running slow? Replace the fuel
filter if it runs slow.

The sell a filter for this engine, $5, but I don't think I saw it in
there. Maybe it was just under the tank*** and if that's the case,
any of those three places to disconnect will be good enough for
testing.

*** Tomorrow I'll use a mirror. If it's there, it seems more likely
than the control valve. It's not mentioned in the manual. (using
Adobe reader, for some reason Find doesn't work, at least with these
manuals. It says it's searching 180 pages, but never finds words I
know are there. Well I just changed to a word showing on the page
I'm on, and it immediately said it wasn't found, it didn't even scan
all the pages. Also can't highlight or copy from the long, repair
manual **** but I can from the owners manual, though find doesn't work
right there either. If I search for one word, then another, it says
it can't find the second, unless I scroll in between. No Adobe
Reader updates available.

****Under file/properties it says there is "password security" and I
don't know the password, or even where to enter it.

Reattach the gas line. Ok, you've eliminated the old
gas and the gas line/filter. Try and start it now. If the symptoms have not
changed I'd suspect crud in the carb.
What's the story behind this scooter?

Found it in the woods near my house. Called the police but he looked
at it, saw all the damage I guess, and said he didn't want it. No
reports of a missing scooter, he said. A neighbor said it had been
there for 2 days. Plent of time to be reported. I told him to come
back if he got a report. Well, what she said is that she'd seen two
teenagers pushing it down the street in front of our houses. Why
they didn't just leave it where they were, I can't guess. Maybe it's
de rigeur to dump things in the woods. Although in 30 years there
have only been this and 2 bicycles and one shopping cart.

Dave M.