Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles[_4_] Muggles[_4_] is offline

Default OT - Stormin, git yur gun

On 11/26/2015 8:29 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Stormin Mormon:
One time I went to a friend's wedding reception. The
music was so loud, it was painful even with my hearing
aids turned off. I hollered and sign language at the
music people to turn down that damn noise. They looked
at me like I was insane. I spent most of that event in
the foyer, behind a layer of glass doors. Even then,
it was a lot too much. Eventually, I left the premises.

I've also not been to any loud concerts.

I incurred my hearing loss by clearing about an acre of our new house's
land with a chain saw - over a period of about 2 weeks with no hearing
protection. On a graph, it looks like a slice out of the frequencies I
can hear.

I lost a portion of my hearing when I was 17, and I had a severe ear
infection in both ears caused by allergies to second hand cigarette
smoke. My parents were chain smokers and I was sick a lot like that.
This particular infection happened over a weekend and I couldn't get to
a Dr in time before both ear canals swelled shut. The Dr. had to see me
every day for a week to rinse out the infection and clean them out with
q-tips, which was so painful I'd cry like a baby just when he'd touch my
ears, let alone go to cleaning them. By the 5th day, he finally could
see my ear drums and the pain was bearable by that time. After the
scabs fell off from the ear drums he told me there was some scarring,
but didn't say anything about hearing loss.

Even so I'm half-deaf, I had a similar wedding experience to yours last
week. Disk jockey was over-driving the sound system to the point where
his comments were pretty much unintelligible - and not just to me.

--
Maggie