Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT A10 gun

"harry" wrote in message
On Thursday, 26 November 2015 14:53:10 UTC, Albert Zweistein wrote:
On 26/11/2015 13:28, dennis@home wrote:
On 26/11/2015 10:47, Rod Speed wrote:
Another John wrote
harry wrote

Came across this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_..._VW_Type_1.jpg

Very good Harry! I always knew that the A10
(tank buster) fired "rounds the size of milk bottles"

Never seen any 30mm milk bottles.

(and at about 4000rpm), but I really hadn't
envisaged the size of the mechanism!

I can't help thinking that the world would be a much better place
(though
less interesting for me) if the American arms industry didn't exist
:-(

Could have been rather more 'interesting' for you if the krauts had
prevailed.

The Americans didn't win WW2 despite Hollywood.
The Russians did more than the USA by a long stretch.

Yeah those Russian battle fleets in the Pacific were awesome, God knows
who'd have stopped the Japs if it wasn't for them.//End of alternative
history lesson.

Learn your history from Hollywood I see.

We'll see...

Wel John Wayne did not win WW2

Churchill didn't either.

Russia had around four times the
casualties of the remainder of the allies.

Irrelevant to what would have happened to
them if the US had not provided them with a
hell of a lot of material support very early on.

They invaded Northern Japan.

Only after Japan was on its knees militarily.

(They're still there)

The Brits had a Pacific fleet too.

Didn't last very long against the Japs off Malaya.

And our carriers were proof against Kamikaze attack, they had armoured
decks.

Didn't help the Prince of Wales and the Repulse any.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinkin...es_and_Repulse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Pacific_Fleet

A fart in the bath compared with what the yanks had.

In WW2 we had aircraft firing bigger rounds
than this. (47 mm) Anti submarine weapon.

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...ito_XVIII.html

But still have sweet **** all in the way of tank killers compared with the
A10s.