Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default OT A10 gun

In article . com, Albert
Zweistein wrote:
On 26/11/2015 16:41, harry wrote:
On Thursday, 26 November 2015 14:53:10 UTC, Albert Zweistein wrote:
On 26/11/2015 13:28, dennis@home wrote:
On 26/11/2015 10:47, Rod Speed wrote:
Another John wrote
harry wrote

Came across this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_..._VW_Type_1.jpg

Very good Harry! I always knew that the A10 (tank buster) fired
"rounds the size of milk bottles"

Never seen any 30mm milk bottles.

(and at about 4000rpm), but I really hadn't envisaged the size of
the mechanism!

I can't help thinking that the world would be a much better place
(though less interesting for me) if the American arms industry
didn't exist :-(

Could have been rather more 'interesting' for you if the krauts had
prevailed.

The Americans didn't win WW2 despite Hollywood. The Russians did more
than the USA by a long stretch.

Yeah those Russian battle fleets in the Pacific were awesome, God
knows who'd have stopped the Japs if it wasn't for them.//End of
alternative history lesson.

Learn your history from Hollywood I see. Wel John Wayne did not win WW2

No **** Sherlock and why should we let the facts get in the way of
patriotic fervour.

Russia had around four times the casualties of the remainder of the
allies. They invaded Northern Japan. (They're still there)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_War "The Soviet Union fought two
short, undeclared border conflicts with Japan in 1938 and 1939, then
remained neutral until August 1945" By which time it was pretty well done
and dusted.

However, The Russians (USSR) fought a very bitter war in Europe

The Brits had a Pacific fleet too. And our carriers were proof against
Kamikaze attack, they had armoured decks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Pacific_Fleet

The Japs did a good job of turning our capital ships into submarines
http://combinedfleet.com/battles/Sin...es_and_Repulse
"Three days after Pearl Harbor, the Japanese demonstrated to the Royal
Navy exactly what happens to surface craft who stick their necks out
without friendly air cover. Britain's Force Z, centered on the
battleship Prince of Wales and the battlecruiser Repulse, attempted to
intercept the Japanese amphibious forces off of Malaya. They were
located by planes of several IJN air groups off the eastern coast of the
peninsula, and subjected to multiple attacks, the third of which left
both capital ships sinking. With their demise, the road to Singapore lay
open"

How does that alter the fact that 3 years later Britain had an active
Pacific Fleet. Remember the US lost most of its Pacific Fleet 3 days
previously.

--
Please note new email address: