Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default stain now or later

On 11/25/2015 6:23 PM, BillinGA wrote:
I made a set of bifold closet doors to replace louvered ones. My wife does not
like to trying to get the dust out of the slats and wanted something solid with a smooth surface. I stained the plywood panels , stiles, and rails before glue up. My thoughts were the stain ( brushed, not sprayed) would try to accumulate at the junction of panels and frame if I waited until after assembly. Show of hands..how many would stain after assembly? They turned out fine...just wondering.

Happy Thanksgiving to those who participate. All others, enjoy your Thursday.

I stain parts that will be difficult to stain after assembly, inset
corners and inset panels for example. I often leave the easier outer
surfaces unstained until after the clamps come off for good.