Posted to rec.woodworking

Default stain now or later

In article ,
says...

I made a set of bifold closet doors to replace louvered ones. My wife does not
like to trying to get the dust out of the slats and wanted something solid with a smooth surface. I stained the plywood panels , stiles, and rails before glue up. My thoughts were the stain ( brushed, not sprayed) would try to accumulate at the junction of panels and frame if I waited until after assembly. Show of hands..how many would stain after assembly? They turned out fine...just wondering.

Happy Thanksgiving to those who participate. All others, enjoy your Thursday.

Stain first. Wood moves. If you stain after and the frame expands
more than the panels you get visible unstained areas.