Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default O/T: Ubuntu questions.

pamela wrote
Rod Speed wrote
David Paste wrote

I have recently installed Ubuntu 15.10 and after past failed
attempts at adopting Ubuntu, this time it is going very well
(I'm even considering buying an SSD for the machine).

I have some questions though:

In the System Monitor, under the Resources tab, the second display
down is "Memory and Swap History". I understand that Memory is
displaying the amount of RAM being used, but why does it slowly
increase when using Firefox? Even when just one tab is open.

Because Firefox is a steaming turd and does that on all platforms.

Its mostly due to the way it handles some web pages.

What is Swap?

Stuff that needs more physical ram than the system has. That stuff
is put in the swap file, on the drive that is used for the swap area.

If you could reply in the simplest way possible, I'd be grateful!

I don't use Firefox but I thought all those memory leaks and
resource problems it used to have years ago had been fixed.

Not with browsers.

They certianly needed fixing as they caused a lot of trouble for some
users.

Yeah, real pain with some web pages.

Sad to see Firefox still has such basic problems.

Yeah, it has driven the browser industry to some extent.

As an aside are you still using Samsung HDDs?

Yeah, still haven't bought anything else.

I haven't upgraded my PC in years

I did relatively recently.

and still use the same HDDs I bought years ago.

Yeah, I stopped buying more for the PVR files that I hadn't
got around to watching or cleaning up. I bought more
drives for years but decided that it didn’t make much
sense and have got off my arse and have been cleaning
up the PVR files to get rid of the stuff I have watched
and some of the stuff that I decided I would never watch.

Still have something like 10TB of stuff I likely wont ever watch.

I wonder if Samsung are still outright leaders for
low-noise, reliability and value as they used to be.

IMO they still are, but were taken over by Seagate.

I'm so out of touch now that I wouldn't know
if they still make HDDs without Googling.

Not 3.5" hard drives anymore, that part of
their operation was bought by Seagate.