Posted to uk.d-i-y
hunar hunar is offline

Default O/T: Ubuntu questions.

On 26/11/15 08:19, News wrote:
In message , Tim Watts
writes

Strictly, "paging" is the above and "swapping" is when the whole idle
process is written out to disk. But in practise the concept and
effects are much the same.

Paging is what Windows shows as Page File Usage, or PF Usage? I do look
at the Performance tab of Task Manager, but don't pretend to understand
exactly what I'm looking at. Currently, my CPU usage is hovering around
10% which is probably OK, but PF Usage is 2.42GB which is probably not
so good.

Apologies for stealing this Ubuntu thread. Just to say that I too was a
dedicated Firefox user, but have now dumped it (and Pale Moon) for
Chrome because it eventually caused this little Netbook to freeze. Not
BSOD - it just froze and nothing except the 'off' button and reboot
would work.

It is not necessarily firefoxes fault.

Sure, but the firefox derivatives dont handle those web pages very well at
all.

Its possible to write (malicious) JavaScript that simply demands more and
more memory

Yes, but in my case its just 3 of the weather pages from
a single weather provider that is the problem, so it clearly
isn't malicious. Just incompetent programming basically.

However when I showed a basic HTML5 video based web page to a friend with
windows 10, Edge blue screened the computer!

"I haven't seen that for a few years" he mused...