Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default O/T: Ubuntu questions.

On Thursday, 26 November 2015 04:22:48 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 26/11/15 01:05, nt wrote:
On Thursday, 26 November 2015 00:43:47 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"David Paste" wrote in message

What is Swap?

Stuff that needs more physical ram than the system has. That stuff
is put in the swap file, on the drive that is used for the swap area.

Yes, but with modern multi-gig RAM you're unlikely to use swapfile space at all.

Well actually you are.

Sometimes the system decides to swap stuff out that hasn't been used for
ages so it has more pages for disk cache.

It doesn't NEED to, but it does.

Depends on your system. I don't think I've ever seen this use swap.

NT