Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Light bulbs

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 16:56:47 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 12:23:08 -0500,
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 10:24:18 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

On 11/24/2015 6:39 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 17:59:28 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

We've been moving from using the incandescent light bulbs to using LED
bulbs over the last few months. I was wondering if the socket says to
use a 60W bulb, can I replace it with an LED bulb that is technically a
replacement for a 75W bulb when in reality it only draws the equivalent
of 13.5W?

Or do I need to stick with finding a replacement LED for 60W
(specifically) that technically only uses 4W?

There's so many choices of LED bulbs, and then there's soft white, warm
light, natural light, etc. It seems the natural LED light bulbs are the
hardest to find.
It's not the light output that limits the wattage a lamp is limited
to, it's the heat - which is a function of real watts. You could put a
blinding 60 watt LED in if you could find one - equivalent to well
over 240 watts in light output (;umens)

I thought I bought the 60W LED replacement bulb, but ended up buying a
75W LED. I guess they were sitting next to each other. Anyway, I ended
up buying the 75W when I thought I was buying a 60W. It has 1350 lumens
according to the package. So, according to what I've read in a couple
other responses, I should be OK using the 75W LED replacement bulb in
the 60W socket because the 75W bulb still uses less wattage (14W), right?

You should be fine. The biggest issue with the 75w equivalent is size.
I have seen some "60w only" pendant lights that would not hold the 75w
CFL.

I've seen 60 watt ceiling fixtures that wouldn't hols a 40 watt
equivalent cfl. without changing to a longer glass.

I've been seeing a therapist to enable me to accept CFL's in place of
real light bulbs.

Last week I asked him about teaching me to accept LEDs and he said
we'd have to start at the beginning again. I feel like I've wasted 2
years and all that money for therapy. (Insurance won't pay.)

Is there some adapter I could get that would enable my acceptance of
CFLs to be converted to acceptance of LEDs? Either an electrcric or
an alphabetic adapter?