Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default brass or copper on recepticals

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 20:13:50 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 17:52:38 -0500, Micky
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 16:18:37 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

Ralph Mowery posted for all of us...

I noticed that instead of the old paper or plastic keepers on the duplex
recepticals now one end has a brass or copper item to keep the screw with it
on one end.

What is the reson for that ?

They are listed as self grounding outlets. No need to run a jumper to a
metal box.

Haven't all the outlets been self-grounding for decades, even the ones
with paper keepers on the screws? I figured one should remove the
paper to get a better ground (if the ground through the bottom of the
screw head to the screw to the box isn't enough.)

You can only do that when the device is mounted tight to the box. If
it is out there hanging on the drywall ears, the connection is not
good enough to reliably operate the O/C device.

Good point. Of course that woudl be true whether the "keeper" is
paper, plastic, or metal.