Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Addison Phil Addison is offline

Default Ideas wanted for removing dried-on blood stains from linen

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 15:01:37 -0000 (UTC), Tim+ wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

A hot wash cooks the proteins into the fabric, and makes them pretty
much impossible to get out.

Yep, 60 C wash will most likely have done that. I think the
mechanisum is that the red cells rupture, the heat breaks down the
heamaglobin releasing the iron they contain and you end up with an
iron stain (aka rust).

As a last resort, you could try bleach applied directly to the spots
followed by a cold wash.

Might work but given that a cooked blood stain is principly a metalic
one I'd not be very confident.

Bleach supposedly makes rust stains even harder to remove. Some techniques
mentioned here might be worth trying.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/cleani...removerust.htm

Ok, it's basically rust by now - out with the Jenolite then (not really!!). I saw the
(white) vinegar and salt idea on another googled page too, as suggested by Tim, and lemon
juice and salt on another. I'll give it a go. Won't be trying bleach as that will ruin the
existing fabric colour.

--
Phil Addison