Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What I learned about California bottle recycling CRV (tax) today

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 06:40:50 +0000 (UTC), JJ
wrote:

Here's what I learned about California bottle recycling CRV (tax) today
and I'm not sure what newsgroup to tell about this.

You pay for 5 things when you buy a bottle of "whatever":
1. The contents (e.g., carbonated water)
2. The tax on the contents
3. The material (metal or plastic or glass material)
4. The CRV fee (5 or 10 cents depending on 24 ounces)
5. The tax on the CRV (yes, the CRV is taxed!)

When you return the container for your CRV, you only get back:
4. The CRV fee (5 or 10 cents depending on 24 ounces)

Some recyclers (not many) will also give you the scrap value,
but usually only for the Aluminum (and not the glass or plastic).

Every store that sells more than 2 million dollars "should" have
a recycling center within 1/2 mile, but if they don't the store
itself can accept the CRV containers (counted, not weighed), or
they can pay an "in lieu" fee of $100 per day instead of accepting
CRV returns.

Every store (above $2M in gross revenue) MUST have a sign telling
you this information (where the nearest center is, for example)
which is provided by the government and must be near the door.

If you bring your containers to a recycling center, they must
allow you to get paid for the first 50 containers of each type
in the per-unit fee of 5 cents and 10 cents (depending on whether
the container was less or more than 24 ounces), but the rest of
your load (you can only have one "load" per day) would then be
weighed.

The minimum price they have to pay you is set twice a year, in
January 1 and July 1, and is currently:
1. Aluminum cans $1.58 per pound === you can get $2/pound if you shop around
2. Glass is $0.11 per pound
3. PET1 is $1.17 per pound

They assume the weight is based on the "whole" bottle as you
bought it, which means that includes the cap and the label,
so, you're being cheated if you remove the caps & labels.

If you're gonna give 'em 50 of each type, always give them
the SMALL bottles (or the water bottles) first. Save the
gator aid bottles for last, and the heavy bottles (like the
heavy Lipton Iced Tea with the handle).

However, you're better off (in some cases) having them
all weighed (because of the funky way they determine weight
as "comingled" bottles of all shapes and sizes.

For example, today they weighed fifty of my 2 liter coke bottles
at 5.6 pounds, which would be $6.55 by weight, but only $5.00 by
10 cent CRV. But the math depends on the mix since they only give
you $1.17/pound for PET1 no matter what mix it contains.

REFERENCES: http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/BevContainer/
http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/BevCont...15ComRates.htm
http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/BevCont...mRate15At1.pdf

This is simply an example of the government run amok. The ONLY
recyclable with any value at all is the aluminum can. The rest are
simply trash that we are spending way to much money and environmental
cost processing.