Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default "worn out" toilet

On 11/25/2015 12:44 AM, shutterbug wrote:
replying to pete, shutterbug wrote:
jlguth wrote:

I have been told my toilet is"worn out" and that is why the water
flushes so slowly......that the porcelian is worn
out.................have not heard of that before......suggestion by a
plumber was to pour dishwashing soap in bowl every couple of
days.....would improve but not much
ANy ideas??? Toilet might be 20 years old

I was told the same thing today. Apparently, the water is forced into the
drain so that the flushing action can take place. Carbon build-up can
slow that forced water stream, neutralizing the flushing action. Go
figure.

Toilets can deteriorate. Under the rim is a series of holes for the
water to come into the bowl for the flush. Over time, depending on your
water, they will get plugged and performance slowly degrades. The trap
can build up too.

If you are going to replace the toilet, get the comfort height. Easier
on the knees as you get older. There are some very good toilets that are
reasonably priced from Kohler, Amer. Standard, Toto