Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister[_2_] S Viemeister[_2_] is offline

Default Ideas wanted for removing dried-on blood stains from linen

On 11/24/2015 8:05 PM, Phil Addison wrote:
Like it says "Ideas wanted for removing dried-on blood stains from linen". I tried a
couple of days soaking in diluted Persil, then a 60C wash in the machine. Still there. The
spots are quite small, around 1/4inch dia.

Then I tried an Oxalic Acid Dihydrate solution which had no effect.

While I'm here, my daughter has red wine stains on her wedding dress which cleaner shops
tell her is impossible to remove. Presumably they mean without bleaching out the dress
colour.

I've had good luck using hydrogen peroxide on bloodstains, then rinsing
in cold water, followed by rubbing white bar soap (not detergent) into
the fabric, using an old toothbrush from the back of the fabric.
Unfortunately the 60deg wash may have set the stains.

Red wine stains need to be treated quickly, before they dry in place.