Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default commode occasionally runs already replaced flapper still doing it

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 18:10:34 -0500, Al roarke
wrote:

On 11/24/2015 06:25 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 09:43:19 -0500, Al roarke
wrote:

I replaced the Fluidmaster valve this morning, and the flapper last
week. The food coloring test is still showing up at the bottom of the
bowl after about 15 min. Not sure what else to do. I am considering
trying the Korky kit that supposedly "repairs" the flapper by using a
ring that is siliconed in place under it. I suppose if that doesn't
work, I'll have to pull off the tank and replace those parts.

Let it fill, then turn off the water supply. If the tank leaks down,
it's the flapper. If it doesn't leak down, its the valve.

I used the Corky kit which basically provides a ring that is silicone
applied to the seat. It says to allow 15 min after resetting, but I let
it sit for 2 hours before refilling the tank. Same results, I can see
traces of food coloring working from the tank into the bowl. When I
shine a flashlight down the overflow tube, I don't see anything leaking
in from the side.

I guess I'll shut off the water and see what happens. Just for
clarification, by tank "leaking down" are you meaning the water level
dropping inside the tank versus not? Since the occasional running of
the commode is so infrequent, I guess I'd better carefully mark the
initial water level. Since the family needs the water tonight, I will
have to try this tomorrow.

Just use your dye to keep it simple.
But if it's the valve you should see the water rise to the overflow
tube. The overflow tube shouldn't submerge.
There's also a possibility your overflow tube seal is leaking through
or the tube itself has a crack that allows water to leak down.