Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Comment on this TIG welder, please

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 17:05:31 -0500, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 12:20:23 -0800, rangerssuck wrote:

On Monday, November 23, 2015 at 2:08:06 AM UTC-5, Tim Wescott
wrote:
On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 23:01:53 -0500, Steve W. wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:
This is probably going to stay on my wish list for a good
long
time,
but I've been lusting after TIG welding capabilities for a
while
now.

Nearly all the projects that I have in mind at the momet
involve
welding .03" to .06" aluminum sheet to itself and to 1/8" or
3/16"
bosses, so it looks like this thing is heavy-duty enough.

So, is it a good buy?

http://www.eastwood.com/tig-welders-...dc-welder.html

I think it's a "custom" Longevity unit.

A comparison video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oISSe0Itq7U

Thanks for the video link -- it's very helpful.

--

Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com

And in that video, he really seems to like the AHP more. I plan
on
buying one of those very soon (hopefully before the end of this
year).
for an extra $50, I think you get a lot more. AND, you can buy it
from
Amazon, which gives you another layer of protection.

Yes, he really sold me on the AHP.

I've got to decide if I can really justify the $800 to myself,
because
I don't need a welder very often -- but when I do I really need
it,
and there's some stuff that I just can't make at the moment
because I
don't have one.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Have you ever tried TIG welding thin aluminum with a high-end
machine,
at night school for instance?

It isn't as easy as mild steel or stainless. I stopped trying to
learn
when I retired and no longer wanted it on my resume.

No. I've been thinking of taking a welding class at the local
Community
College, but I've been held back by the time commitment.

I can certainly believe that it's more difficult -- I know I could
do
this job in a heartbeat with steel, with my gas torch. I've been
tempted
to get some aluminum rod and gas welding flux and giving it a whirl,
but
I have a sense that it'll take as long or longer to learn as doing
it
with TIG, and that the result would never be as good.

I've tried to learn how to do everything myself but in cases like this
I really learned what I could realistically expect when I contracted
it out. And why aluminum is still riveted.
-jsw