Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Vacuum packing

Don Y wrote:
On 11/22/2015 3:35 PM, Bob F wrote:

FWIW, meats can be stored for months in a cold freezer if you first
freeze them solid individually, then spray them with cold water
using a trigger sprayer to coat them with a good layer of ice. That
ice will protect the meet for a long

This is how we protect the citrus trees on exceptionally cold nights
(i.e., coat them with a fine water mist that covers everything with a
thin layer of ice.). Depending on how cold it gets, this may limit
your loss to *just* the fruit (no "wood")

I always wondered why they did that - thanks.

time. You can just put the iced chunks into ziplock bags. If the ice
eventually sublimates away, the coating process can be repeated. As
long as the meat is completely covered with ice, it won't get
freezer burn.

I think that would be harder to achieve and maintain. E.g., we buy
steaks in lots of a dozen or more, chicken breast in 20 lb lots (and
cut each breast into 4 or 5 small pieces), etc. You'd need a way of
arranging and keeping them in a single layer while they were freezing.

I just arrange them on cookie sheets to freeze.