Posted to alt.home.repair
Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney is offline

Default Ditch Digging

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message ...
I've got to put down about 50 feet of 4-inch french drain along the sides of the house. The plan is to dig down 5-inches, lay a perforated drain pipe, cover it with screen material and gravel.

Normally I would get out the old pick and shovel, but the wife is out of town right now. All the ditch diggers I see online are for heavy duty ditches. Any suggestions what would work good on a small job like this?

Thanks for the good ideas. To answer some of the comments....

This is a very small job. The water all drains away from the house already, then across the yard into a garden and then out to the street gutter. I would rather the water go straight to the street and not take garden soil with it.

There the house is raised foundation. No basement. The way the lot is graded, a drain 4-6 inched deep is below the foundation.

Soil is hard packed clay.