Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dandy Dapter info needed

I got a question. How did you find this original post ?

If I go looking for my old posts I never find ****. My scereen updates 30 threads at a time. What, SERIOUSLY, did you look for the dandy dapter up in the search box ? Or did Google send you here straight from the web search ? I am really curious.

This is not a putdown and I am not bitching, I would just like to know. And if you get here via Google, up st the upper right should be the date of the post to which you can reply. When it is really old, the people are usually gone.

However, there is nothing wrong with bringing something up out of the depths to add something of value. Older equipment is starting to show its value. People are paying thousands to have fifty year old stereo equipment restored.

this being a CRT tester though it is not as crucial, CRTs in TVs go bad and all you get is to know they are bad. If you restore them they do not last long whether you use them or not.

Now real good tube testers, I mean the kind with all kinds of calibration, gas tests and an english control - those are sought after. That is for that fifty year, err wait, sixty year old hifi and stereo equipment. What's more they do not just want a go/nogo, they want the emission, Gm and whatever quantified for matching.

The 467 was unique in that it tested the three guns sequentially. For whatever reason they wanted to vary the G2 voltage for each gun even though they were common in many CRTs. Whatever logic they used, they figured out a way to test the guns with separate G2 voltages.

To do this they used a ring counter running off the 60 Hz, which means they pulsed the guns at 20 Hz. the three G2 controls were switched by diodes and it made for a trilevel waveform usually, and the meters were switched in sequentially and read the beam current.

One of the reasons they did this maybe was to make sure they were measuring beam current and not just emission. They are not the same thing.

Fun. Cool. Now I have dumped some of my useless knowledge.