Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Vacuum packing

On 11/22/2015 11:55 AM, Don Y wrote:
There are "specialty" products that can be used to vacuum-pack
(e.g.) foodstuffs. But, AFAICT, they all use "special" media
to do so -- special bags (that you are now dependent upon
for continued use of said product).

Does anyone make a vacuum sealer that can be applied to
more generic media? Or, does the medium need special
characteristics (e.g., air channels) to be useful?

E.g., when shrink-wrapping to a "card", you draw air
*through* that card (perforations) to pull the plastic
film down onto the card (and "set" it with heat).

Could you, for example, have a device that just took regular
plastic bags (Ziploc, "baggies", etc.) and use them for this
function?

There was a manual pump at reasonable price, but I don't recall the name
of it. I suspect they are gone as I can't find any information.

Using standard bags is cheaper, but they don't perform as well so
evaluate your use before going that route. Thin bags are more prone to
getting perforated in the freezer, plus, they don't offer as much of a
barrier. Thin bgs may be OK for a month with dry goods, but if you want
to keep frozen meat long term, use the thicker bags. They can be reused
too.